Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Personal Essential Question Response

"Who am I?"
Trying to answer this question has never been an easy thing for me to do. I think that by dissecting all of the things that I do, and the roles that I play is a good way of starting to find out who I am.
The role that I play as an athlete is one of the more enjoyable ones in my life right now. I have always enjoyed being active and engaging in some thing rather than just sitting around. This is not to say that I am not one who enjoys sitting in front of the T.V. every once in a while, but I am also someone who enjoys exerting myself physically once in a while. I just finished play soccer for Punahou and I just couldn't see myself not doing anything, so I am currently running track. Track is something that I have never done before and I thought that I would give it a try this year. Since I am experiencing so many new things, such as high school and all of the things that come with it, I decided that since these things have turned out so well for me why not keep an open mind and give track a try.
So far track has been a lot better than I expected, it is actually a lot of fun and something that I look forward to doing after going through a hard day of school. I am right now trying out sprinting and since that has worked out for me well the head coach, Pavich has asked me to do hurdles. I gave hurdles a try and it is actually kind of fun, so once again trying something new has paid off for me. Although my sprint coach wants me to pick one or the other right now I am ok with just trying out both, and making a decision after I have given both an equal chance.
Trying out new things for a change has taught me to always have an open mind and not close myself off to things that are unfamiliar or new. This is a valuable lesson that I need to always remember, it has also shed a little light on the question "Who am I?”. By trying new things I may even find out about strengths that I would not otherwise have known about.

No comments: